I'm stumped. I'm not so sure what is the answer to that question. I'll do some research in Google and get back to you if I got an useful answer. You should email the people at iPage as they probably could give you an answer..
I checked the DB and the prices are correct. How do I check the sql log? Is it the parse time file in tmp/? I turned on logging, but there is no log file in the tmp (or temp) dirs. Do I need to create the file first?..
Yes, create the file first. Also, make sure that that the path is correct. The default is not always correct..
If the amount of the change is correct, I would check that you have a + sign in the price_prefix column of the products_attributes table..
Thanks, that worked. I just didn't input the options correctly. So I guess the correct way to do it is to input only the incremental cost of the options and use a + prefix, while leaving the price of the "base" option zero? If the prefix is left empty, it subtracts by default?.
I don't suppose there a way to be able to input total prices in the options fields instead of incremental costs (besides just leaving the main price field at zero)?.
This post has been edited by.
: 27 June 2004, 03:58..
There is a contribution to make the attributes show the final price rather than the incremental price. It's called something like Actual Attribute Price..
Yes, the attributes default to subtracting unless one uses a prefix of +.
Help! My cart is adding-in the wrong prices for items that have more than one option available at diifferent prices. The price it adds is a negative number, which seems to be the price difference between options. When inputting these products, I used the lowest priced option as the "base" price" and then added the higher prices in where you list the attributes. I also tried using "0" as the base price (and only having the prices listed with the attributes/options, as well as putting in the option prices as "additional amounts" above the base price (rather than as the total price), but nothing worked..
It works fine for products that have only one price..
I'm afraid something may have been corrupted during the process of migrating the.
Site to a new server...
Turn on sql logging in the admin area, then add a product with options, and then look at the sql log file and see what is going on..
You can also heck your products_attributes table and see what the is going on there, see if there is a price factor is negative or positive...