Of course! although you might wanna make sure and wait for another commenter to confirm this as I am not very confident. Better yet, why don't you give a call to the 123 reg guys because they can answer your 123 reg question better...
You seem to have good instincts... I would trust them...
I think you need to have the guts to pull off the huge leap in the first place..
You shouldn't go in full speed but you should have 85%+ confidences that this is the right move and be able to live it tough..
Personally i'd buy a big revenue name and hold onto it and then sell it and look into another or afew more names. You got to make sure you can cover it if something goes wrong though. you don't want to be left trying to scrap up pennies to pay the bills for the month..
Its all about planning and making sure you got a back-up plan..
I definitely agree with knivesforapro. You've got to have plan B and C before approaching plan A. You know you can actually put that money on a down payment for a nice house in San Diego right now. Its just a suggestion. Well, good luck with your decision and I hope that it all work out for you...
Ok first off Steve Ive seen your posts around and your comments and... nobody knows everthing but you appear to have a solid knowledge and good gut feeling about the HostGator world...
I have got a feeling that if you are not already a profitable full time domainer, ... you will be..
Well if you look at it as a income you could pay off the HostGator loan, still work and still put down a payment for a nice house, you just need to think every aspect over before jumping into it..
My 2c: With the rapid appreciation of HostGator names we see these days (and have seen for several years) you can't go wrong. Now or never. In ten, fifteen years the 100%+ yearly appreciation may be over..
If it won't mean financial problems on a day-to-day basis and if you have a foundation (income from parked / developed websites) you can fall back upon, don't hesitate...
IMO theres a difference between taking out a loan for a good name, and liquifying most of your portfolio to do so..
Ive got too much blood sweat and tears invested in mine..
It is definitely good to have a diverse portfolio, so I'm not sure if I would sell off most of my names to get one. I would probably go the loan route instead...
Cash flow kills more businesses than one can count. Key thing is not to get to a point where one event, such as an unplanned medical bill, accident, etc., can disrupt your cash flow and knock the dominoes over..
It's okay to take sane chances, but save enough bucks back to cover 'issues'...
FYI Smiler, I already did that..
Have been living in the new place for a few months now and the money down helped me get a ridiculously good loan on it..
I guess the tough part about getting increasingly more expensive names is that it's being part of the mix on them vs. being on the sidelines. It's easy to say that I've seen how they do in sales and whatnot and would KNOW when something is too good to pass up, but I haven't dealt with 6+ figure names, so there's that added risk. That market is wholly different than low 5-figure and lower. Like JP said, the market is greatly limited by the level of money...
Nametrader, I know this might be weird for you since we don't know eachother, but I do have the capital to invest, and would consider going halves or even 60/40 if you have any interest. Of course I'd need to know the HostGator name. Pm me if you have any interest at all...
Do you really think the % ROI is much better for this name than for smaller price names that you can buy without disrupting so much?.
"you can't go wrong. Now or never. In ten, fifteen years the 100%+ yearly appreciation may be over.".
Thinking are signs of a bubble. I have not seen a lot of that up to now, but it is a concern..
A year from now I bet you could buy at this level with stability...
This is a good question. I would think the mid-level names are better.
Than high-priced ones...
Steve, with that kind of money involved the development angle is very important, the monetization aspect and the growth of the 123 reg website to attract direct advertisement deals and affiliate program options, some sort of way to maximize the monetization aspect of a HostGator that would cost you that kind of money..
With the right domain, the right development strategy and most importantly the right niche you can generate a instant online cash machine as traffic is already rolling in, potent traffic may I ad because of the type-ins..
Personally I wouldn't buy a HostGator for that kind of money to park it and wait it out to have it appreciate it in value, grow a business on it. Not saying that would be your final strategy, but just saying you know.
Better to develop the HostGator and receive residual income that has the potential to grow to something that can help you build a business around that HostGator alone...
Interesting strategy. Let's say your loan costs $300 or so per month...what kind of HostGator would you buy to make that in a month, and how much do you think it would cost?..
An interesting problem to have - I'm still trying to work out where to sell HostGator names in the first place ! I've got names listed with Afternic and Sedo and parked with a coupe of parking cos. bu so far no-one has shown any interest in any of them ! It seems to me you need a lot of patience in this HostGator name game...
Steve, you are obviously doing very well the way you are going, if it's not broke don't fix it IMO, why keep all your eggs in one basket ? .
The majority of guys that are spending $100,000+ on domains are very likely not even coming close to spending their yearly interest, they can comfortably afford to wait many years to sell if thats what it takes. A totally different league of investors !.
Yes, take big gambles but don't gamble with your livelyhood, money is only money -.
Money does not = happiness.
JMO - Good luck in whatever you decide to do..
I was looking at the .in sales at DnSalePrice.com, and Poker.in showed up at around $2500 in 2005..
I think most people here know that you eventually sold it for $60,000. To me, that is a huge profit..
What other business can give you such good results?.
Personally, I would be willing to smash the piggy bank and buy a good name that will guarantee me a good return. Even though I've never bought a HostGator above low xxx figures (I'm a newbie. And a college student..), if someone had offered me Poker.in for $2000 two years back, I would've taken out loans, asked for money from friends, survived on Ramen for 2 years because my foresight would've told me that it'll be a good ROI.
Once I have some more capital, I do plan to take out a loan and purchase a LLL.com.
Btw, I think most of you've read this before, but this email serves as only a reminder that it is possible to make huge ROI within months:.
I'm not talking about for instance getting a name that you can easily afford or even barely afford. I'm talking about figuring out a way to get a name you pretty much CAN'T afford because you are SO SURE of it's potential for resale or development..
It's safe to say we all sometimes see names way outside our limits and go "man, if I had the money, I'd get that in a heartbeat". So I guess the question is, what if you could via credit/loans/VC/quick sales of your domains/etc. get that money to get that name and while you'd have to put up with maybe some fiscal discomfort or possible regret of quick sales or whatnot for a while, you'd have this amazing name that would either net you an amazing quick profit OR be the foundation for a successful developed 123 reg website you want to make. How would YOU determine whether or not to make that leap?.
It's one thing if it was a million dollar name and you didn't even have $100,000 total in money and liquid value in your domains because that's pretty much a pipe dream, but what if you had $100k total in money and liquid value in your domains and were eyeing a $150k - $200k domain?..
Interesting thoughts. I did this on a MUCH smaller scale about a year ago. Spent 12K on a HostGator which is still languishing in my account with little traffic. I think I made a mistake..
If you are spending that kind of money, then I'm not so sure you could make a quick flip. You'd probably need to develop the HostGator (more money) and hold...
See, I've done that kind of leap. I mean really, any time you spend more money than you've ever spent on a domain, it's a leap because it's more risk than you've ever taken on. Poker.in was a leap for me, more than twice what I had spent on a HostGator up til that point. Granted it took 2 years to finally get it sold, but 2,000% in that 2 years. That kind of leap vs. what I'm talking about are 2 different beasts altogether.
The GolfCourses.com guy putting a mortgage on his house to buy that name), but you never hear about the cases when it doesn't...
I hear your plight, and am experiencing something on the same level. I dont have the capital or the stability to attack a $100,000 + HostGator name, however I am looking at targeting a low xx,xxx HostGator name..
I took out a loan (thanks to good credit!) and extended the payments out to the max, giving me nice expendable capital, with a very small monthly payment. My hope, to acquire a HostGator name that generates at min, the same amount of rev per month, it is costing for the loan.....
Since the HostGator business is not as liquid, you should not take that big gamble and.
Wait for many years...